Can Dogs Eat Currants?
The quick answer: No, dogs should never eat currants because they are toxic to dogs.
Currants can be black, red, or white, and are often dried and used in baked goods and trail mix. These tart berries are also used in making jams, liqueurs, and syrups. True currants grow on bushes, but some types of currants – that are technically small grapes – grow on vines. Currants, grapes, raisins, sultanas, and gooseberries all belong to the same family of fruits.
Fruits and vegetables that are edible for humans might seem like a fresh and healthy snack to share with our pets. Unfortunately, dogs cannot eat all the same things that we can. Currants and all other fruits within the same family are absolutely off-limits for dogs.
Just like grapes and raisins, currants are toxic to dogs and potentially cats as well. Consuming even small amounts of currants can cause serious damage, so it’s important to keep them well out of reach of your pets.
Though it’s not clearly understood how grapes, raisins, and currants are poisonous to dogs, there are a number of symptoms that can result from consuming them. Eating currants can cause:
- Increased thirst
- Renal damage
- If not caught, acute renal failure which may not develop until several days later
If left untreated, renal failure can be fatal. If you suspect your dog has eaten any of these fruits, even without the presence of symptoms, be sure to contact your veterinarian or the Pet Poison Helpline as soon as possible.
It’s important to seek immediate veterinary care if your pet has ingested any number of currants. Treatment includes inducing vomiting and administering activated charcoal to prevent toxins from being absorbed. Veterinarians may also use aggressive IV fluid therapy to flush out your dog’s system, medication to maintain kidney function, and ongoing monitoring.
Want to find out more about what dogs can and cannot eat? Check out our comprehensive guide for more information on “What Human Foods Dogs Can and Can Not Eat.”