Table of Contents
The quick answer: Yes, flaxseeds are safe for dogs to eat in ground or oil form in moderation.
When you want your dog to fill their body with omega-3 (a fatty acid that promotes health and wellness), flaxseeds (also known as linseeds) are the way to go. On top of providing your pet with protein, you can also find manganese and lignans in these seeds, ensuring a smooth and shiny coat. It’s important, however, to use caution with how much your dog receives on a daily basis.
Benefits of flax seeds
With its ability to help reduce kidney inflammation and improve the range of mobility in dogs suffering from arthritis, the flaxseed is an ingredient used by animal lovers everywhere. Dogs suffering from a weak immune system or dry, irritated skin also benefit from a controlled dose of flaxseed. Using ground seeds or oil made from these seeds as part of your pet’s daily food intake can make a big difference, but never attempt to feed your dog flaxseed exclusively. Always consult with your veterinarian before making significant changes to your pet’s diet.
After grinding the seeds or opening a bottle of flaxseed oil, refrigerate immediately to avoid spoilage.
Hazards of sharing flax with dogs
Only serve flax products in moderation. Should they receive too much, your dog could suffer from an upset tummy or diarrhea. Talk to your veterinarian for more information.
Make every day delicious using the recipe below.
Peanut butter, banana, and flaxseed treats recipe from Lola the Pitty.
- 2 tablespoons of ground flaxseeds
- ¼ cup unsweetened almond milk
- ½ banana, mashed
- 1 cup whole wheat, coconut, or rice flour
- 1/3 cup peanut butter
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In a mixing bowl, throw in the peanut butter, flour, almond milk, ground flaxseeds, and mashed banana.
- With a spatula, mix the ingredients together as thoroughly as possible.
- Sprinkle flour on the surface you wish to use, then roll out your mixture until it’s about ¼ of an inch thick.
- Use cookie cutters to cut out shapes. Roll up the unused portion of the mixture and repeat.
- Bake for 20 minutes on a nonstick cookie sheet.