Can Dogs Eat Pineapple?
Sweet and tart pineapple is delicious and full of vitamins and minerals. But can your dog eat it? Yes, but only in moderation and as long as it’s fresh. Canned pineapple has lots of added sugar, so it’s always better to give your dog fresh pineapple in small portions.
Pineapple is not toxic to pups. Small amounts of raw pineapple cut into bite-sized pieces are safe to feed to your dog. Pineapple also contains many beneficial vitamins and minerals including vitamin C, vitamin B6, niacin, thiamin, riboflavin, folate, potassium, manganese, copper, magnesium, and iron. Plus, it has small amounts of calcium, phosphorous, and zinc.
What Parts of the Pineapple Can Your Dog Eat?
Before feeding pineapple to your dog, be sure to remove the spiny skin and sturdy core for the same reason you wouldn’t want to eat them: they are tough, difficult to eat and digest, and could cause an obstruction.
Moderation is key
As with any food outside of your dog’s regular diet, it’s best to feed pineapple in moderation because the sweetness translates to high sugar content, which can lead to obesity and teeth problems.
No canned pineapple
For this same reason, don’t feed canned pineapple which contains added sugar, unless you rinse the pineapple to remove most sugar.
In general, your dog’s consumption of fruits and vegetables should make up no more than 10-20% of his diet.
Will Pineapple Stop Coprophagia (Eating Their Own Feces)?
An old legend (and some of the internet) suggests that pineapple significantly changes the taste of a dog’s poop, making it so unappetizing your dog will stop engaging in coprophagia (eating his own poop). However, the science doesn’t back it up and unfortunately, many people have found that their dogs still eat their poop even after experimenting with pineapple. There are a number of reasons a dog may eat poop; if your dog’s coprophagia is concerning, consult your veterinarian.
Curious about what is okay and not okay for your dog to eat? Check out our comprehensive guide on what human foods are safe and not safe for dogs.