- White chocolate is not as toxic to dogs as dark or milk chocolate.
- White chocolate is still not healthy for dogs because it is high in fat and sugar.
- Call your vet if your dog accidentally eats white chocolate in case of possible reactions.
- Feed apple slices to your dog for a sweet treat instead of white chocolate.
No, dogs should not eat white chocolate.
Fortunately, while chocolate is not nearly as toxic to dogs as milk or dark chocolate, white chocolate is not nearly as toxic to dogs. Theobromine—the toxic component in chocolate—can be found in white chocolate, however the amount is very low. Your dog would have to eat a tremendous amount of white chocolate in order to have signs of chocolate toxicity, which include vomiting, diarrhea, seizures, and even heart attack, among other signs.
It’s important to note that white chocolate is not completely harmless, though. We recommend not feeding your dog candy or sweets at all.
- White chocolate and other sweets are high in fat, which can cause vomiting and diarrhea. Additionally, the high fat content puts your dog at risk for pancreatitis.
- White chocolate and other sweets are high in sugar, which can lead to health problems including diabetes, weight gain, and more.
Although your dog isn’t necessarily in danger of theobromine poisoning, you should call your vet if your dog eats white chocolate in case of other possible reactions. Your vet may induce vomiting and/or administer intravenous (IV) fluids to combat the dehydrating effects of vomiting and diarrhea.
In short, don’t share any type of chocolate with your dog. For a sweet treat that’s safe for pups to eat, consider apple slices instead.
If you’re not sure what to share, Healthy Paws has a great list of foods that are safe and not safe for dogs.
Want to make sure your pets are covered from those unexpected illnesses or injuries with no limits on payouts? Get a quote and make sure you’re covered for those dog and puppy mishaps and unpleasant surprises.