How to Keep Your Pet Calm and Safe During Fireworks
With New Year’s Eve upon us, it’s time to start planning how you will keep your pet safe and comfortable during fireworks.
Prepare your pet in advance for the day’s activities.
- Take dogs on a long walk earlier in the day to help relieve excess energy. Dedicate time to play with your cat.
- If it’s an option, arrange to have your pets stay in the home of friends or family whose neighborhoods don’t have a lot of fireworks activity.
- Be sure pets are wearing visible ID tags in case they do manage to escape.
- Make sure all doors and windows are securely closed. Even if you don’t think your pet would run away, panicked pets can be very crafty escape artists.
Create a relaxing environment.
- Put on background noise to help cover the sounds of firework bangs and booms. Turn on a fan, TV, or music.
- Close the blinds or curtains so your pet isn’t startled by the flashes.
- Give them a cozy place to retreat. Now is the perfect time to put your childhood fort building skills to use!
- Provide a special treat or a new toy, such as a fresh catnip toy for cats, or a stuffed KONG for dogs to keep them distracted and busy.