- It can be challenging to know exactly how much to feed your puppy.
- We offer a puppy feeding schedule based on age, food type, and your dog’s body.
- You can feel your dog’s ribs and waist to determine if the pup is underweight or overweight.
- Dry, wet, and fresh food have different calorie levels for puppies.
- While very young puppies can graze throughout the day at first, twice-daily feedings should suffice after six months of age.
If you’ve just adopted a puppy, or you’re thinking about adopting one, congratulations! You’re looking at a lifetime of snuggles, adventures, and oh-so-much love. Whether this is your first puppy ever (omg!) or a new member of your pack, you might need to go over the “New Puppy Checklist,” enroll in pet insurance (start with a free quote), and then figure out the day-to-day rhythm of things, including: how much should I feed my puppy? Figuring out the answer, not to mention navigating the dog food aisle online or at your local pet store, is tricky even for the most seasoned of pet parent. Don’t worry, you’re not the only one confused about how much to feed a puppy.
To truly know how much a puppy should eat is a challenge. Pet parents understandably stress about how much to feed from one day to the next because a puppy’s body weight changes rapidly and you want to be able to fuel all that growth and development. NomNomNow‘s own veterinary nutritionist Dr. Justin Shmalberg, DVM, created a fantastic guide to help pet parents get a clearer idea of how much to feed our puppies. It covers everything from puppy nutrition to a great interactive calculator and puppy feeding chart. Hit the following links to read all about it, and check out their graphic below.
- Importance of Proper Puppy Nutrition
- How Much to Feed a Puppy Based on Weight
- How Often to Feed a Puppy
- Puppy Wet Food vs. Dry Food
- Kibble vs. Fresh Puppy Food
- Feeding Large vs. Small Breed Puppies
- When to Switch to Adult Dog Food
- Puppy Food Calculator
- Puppy Feeding Chart
This content was made possible by NomNomNow. Founded in 2015, NomNomNow seeks a natural approach to a dog’s diet. They developed a company that analyzes a pet parent’s needs, creates a unique health profile for their dog, and then cooks, custom-packages and ships meals every week. Find out more at NomNomNow.com.