Outdoor Pet Safety: Packing Essentials [Infographic]
Warm summer weather means more time spent enjoying outdoor activities. When bringing your dog, it’s a good idea to be prepared in case of an emergency. Whether you’re camping, hiking, planning a picnic or any other adventure outside with your dog, these are the things you should bring.
Packing list: Outdoor pet safety essentials
Check off this list to keep your dog safe on outdoor summer adventures.
- Plenty of fresh water and a travel bowl to stay hydrated
- Pet-friendly sunscreen to prevent sunburn on sensitive areas like the nose and belly
- Booties to protect paw pads from hot pavement or rough terrain
- First-aid kit in case of medical emergencies
- Flea, tick and heartworm preventive medications to protect your pet from bites and further health complications
- Tick removal tool in case your pet picks up an unwanted traveler during outdoor adventures
- Benadryl in case of an allergic reaction to something found outdoors. Be sure to write down the proper dosage for your pet’s size.
- Carrying harness/sling in case your pup should injure a leg and is unable to walk
- Gentle dish soap to wash off poison ivy, oak, or sumac
- Pet life jacket for water activities – though your pet may appear to be a strong swimmer, they can’t tell you when they become exhausted. Safety first!
- Microchip and visible ID tag in case you and your dog get separated from each other